Week 5

Not a happy week.

For the past week I have been immobile, and in a great deal of pain, due to the mother of all gout attacks. As I was not registered with a doctor in the UK (and getting registered is not easy, as they all seem to be full), I was not able to get pain relief for the condition. I hadn't brought my gout medication with me (Indomethacine), as my RNY surgeon had told me that RNY cured gout as a by-product. I later found out from the thinnertimes forum that indeed it DOES cure gout, but ONLY after you reach your target weight, and that rapid weight loss can bring on a attack even if you are eating sensibly. My doctor in Germany was at a loss as to what to do, as she normally prescribes for me Indomethacine, which is a strong NSAID, and which you must avoid following RNY surgery. She ended up giving me a general pain-killing injection in the bottom, and bandaged my ankle and knee with Voltaren balm that makes the skin underneath feel cold, and reduces swelling (it contains a topical NSAID). It is now 6 hours since, and it certainly seems to be working OK.

My back-to-solids phase started 4 days ago, and I started with scrambled egg (singular) on a half slice of brown toast, and it went down a treat (however, the same meal two days later left me with heartburn, and I had to throw it up to relieve it. A half cup of shepherds pie was tried the next day, and that too went down fine. I had thick tomato soup the next day, and that too was OK. I also discovered the delights of Laughing Cow (low fat) cheese spread this past week. Only 26 kcals per triangle, but really creamy tasting. One triangle is enough to cover 8 Ritz crackers, and makes a great snack.

Got some more protein whey powder from our local Holland & Barrett's, this time in banana flavour.

My current weight today is 109.2Kg (240.7lb, or 17st 3lb), so that is a loss of 2.1Kg this week.

Here are the current progress pics:

109.2Kg BMI 36.07


Rock

No comments:

Post a Comment