Week 14

I can definitely see that my hair is thinning on top now. I do hope that the perceived wisdom is correct when they say that it regrows at around 9 months post-op.

I had mixed success with some bacon at the weekend. On the Saturday morning I made myself a crispy bacon sandwich, with two slices from a small wholegrain loaf. It got stuck big time, and I had to return it all. On the Sunday, faced with half a pack of bacon still in the fridge, I tried again. This time I had half a slice of bread, toasted, and the remaining three rashers, with a little ketchup. This time, it all went down with no trouble at all. So it definitely looks like it was the bread that was the problem. I will stick with half a slice of toast from now, and maybe try untoasted after New Year. The birds had the other half a slice.

Had an accident this morning. I was awoken at 7:30am by a scraping noise. I got out of bed and went to my window and moved back the curtain, and I could see it had been snowing heavily, and my neighbour was scraping the snow from the footpaths outside his house (it is compulsory in this state in Germany). I turned and then fell 'a over t' over my suitcase that I had been packing the previous evening, badly stubbing my toe, and taking the skin off my left knee (carpet burn on a sisal carpet) and fell onto the side of my glass weighing scales, which left a nasty red mark across my side. It could have been worse. The driving to work in the snow was quite hairy though, with lots of wheel spin, but fortunately, despite the heavy traffic, I saw no accidents.

I had my organisation's Christmas Party last Thursday, which coincided with my birthday. The food was incredible, with lobster, king prawns, and all manner of pates for starters, then duck, roast beef, potato pie, lasagne, and various other dishes for the main course, then tiramisu, creme brulee, exotic fruit salad and a magnificent cheese board for afters. I had: two flutes of buck's fizz, then no starter, but some potatoe pie, then a dollop of tiramisu and creme brulee, and a second helping of the creme brulee, then a cube of about 6 different cheeses, all going down no problem, and eaten over about an hour. The next day, I wondered what the damage was, and was horrified to see 1Kg had gone on. Luckily, later that day I went to the loo (a #2), and all was back to normal.

So, back to the weight. Today I weighed 97.8Kg (15st 5.6lb, or 215.6lb, that's a net loss of 27.7Kg (just over 4 stone 5lb, or 61.1lbs), and 1.1Kg loss over last week

Here are the progress photos:


97.8Kg BMI 32.6

Rock (don't know why the side view is coming out blurred)

2 comments:

  1. Found your blog accidentally when googling, I believe, weight loss and hair loss. Read through the entire thing despite not being in even a remotely similar situation (I was actually Googling for my father, who was once in a similar position of considering bariatric surgery before developing throat cancer, and we're told it's his weight loss from that rather than treatment side effects causing the hair loss -- not a big deal to him, but I was curious why it was happening), simply because your documentation is so thorough and thus extremely interesting. I find myself very happy over your clearly extreme success, and curious to continue seeing how your new gastrointestinal system is treating you.

    Are there any struggles you face being in a German-speaking country that you feel you wouldn't have back home, or are you fluent enough that it's not a problem? I'm just imagining a tiny translation flub on a food packet could be rather disastrous.

    Are you following an exercise program as well? Anecdotally, an uncle of mine who had similar surgery reports great success using endurance weight lifting (light weight, many repetitions kind of thing) to keep up muscle tone and not look quite so flabby after losing weight. Was wondering if that kind of thing was widely recommended or just something he happened to do.

    Anyway, merry Christmas and much luck in the new year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had a few minor problems with being in Germany, as I don't speak it very well at all. You were quite right to think of food labeling, and I have had a friend accompany me to the supermarket to make sure I got the right foods.

    I go to the gym about once a week, though I intended to go 3 times/week, but I am afraid that I would lose weight even quicker, and get the resulting loose skin problem. Now that my weight is coming off slower now, about 0.5-1.0Kg/week, I can up my exercise.

    Right now I feel great. I am in Thailand with the family over the New Year period (13 days)and I am finding that Thai food goes down really well (especially the tom gam gai soup).

    Thanks for the comment.

    Rock

    ReplyDelete